Saturday 10 June 2023

#39: Caroline Lucas

Another post which came from the Google Alert I have set up for 'GCSE Natural History'.

One of the big supporters of the new GCSE Natural History was the Green Party MP Caroline Lucas. 

She was the Green Party's first MP. 

She served in Brighton and was also the former co-leader of the Green Party. She announced this week that she was stepping down as an MP.

This week we had a number of other MPs announce they were stepping down. Several of them were appalling individuals and will not be mentioned here.

In the Metro yesterday, Caroline Lucas released a statement.

It contains the following statements, starting with a thanks to the people of Brighton:

I’m truly grateful for the trust they placed in me to be their MP - but I’m standing down to ensure I can focus fully on the climate and nature crises gripping the world.

The Climate and Ecology Bill, which I first tabled back in 2020, and currently going through Parliament, has broad cross-party support.

When campaigns have needed a voice inside Parliament, I have sought to offer it.

After collaborating over many years with nature campaigner Mary Colwell, a Natural History GCSE, will be on the syllabus by 2025/26.

(More evidence that there may well be a delay in the specification being taught for the first time)

I’ve sometimes struggled to focus on the existential challenges that drive me – the climate and nature emergencies.

So I’ve decided to step down at the next election to allow me to turn my full attention to those twin issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#313: Lichens and Gravestones

Following a previous post from April. This Guardian article describes a Church of England project. It is a Citizen Science project. The ar...