Sunday 15 September 2024

#365: Art

Hopefully the final specification for the GCSE Natural History will follow up on the promise of the original draft thoughts of Mary Colwell and others. From the clues that I've seen at OCR Consultative Forum meetings and elsewhere, I'm not sure that all of the more interesting (to me) elements such as reference to art, literature and poetry will survive OFQUAL reviews.

One thing I hope stays is an exploration of how Natural History has been represented in art, and how that has changed - from prehistoric cave paintings to the iPad drawings of the Yorkshire Wolds through the seasons by David Hockney. Here's a really beautiful painting - I'll share more of these on the blog in the next year or so as things hopefully get back on track for an eventual launch.


'A City Garden', James McIntosh Patrick, oil on canvas, 1940.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#370: Norman Ackroyd RIP

Art will hopefully keep its place in the draft specification. I was sorry to hear this evening of the passing of Norman Ackroyd on Monday: ...