Monday, 31 August 2026

#675: WONDER #2: Heacham

WONDER was launched by Jake Fiennes as part of the work of the Holkham Estate.

Image: Holkham Dunes

It's their strategy for sustainability. I've blogged about the Holkham Estate before.

I've also blogged about his book 'Land Healer', which I think is an excellent book - and should be part of a library of books for those teaching GCSE Natural History. 


The dictionary definition of wonder is ‘a feeling of amazement, admiration or awe, caused by something beautiful, remarkable, or unfamiliar.’ 
We believe Holkham is remarkable, somewhere more than a million people visit each year to admire and enjoy. It is also a place vulnerable to the effects of climate change, associated sea level rises and risk of flooding. So, our drive to be more sustainable is a very real one. 

We need to ensure we work towards improving our practices and cherishing our environment for the benefit of future generations. It is by sustainability becoming an instinctive and natural behaviour that we will succeed. 
I think it would make sense to connect with Jake and his work as case studies of land management, habitat restoration and other related themes which are part of the proposed subject content.

I'm going to put together a case study of Holkham - I've already made a start on a StoryMap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#677: WWT Welney Reserve and Peter Scott

Another location which will feature in the list of possible places to visit for those schools that choose to offer the new specification and...